by Monica G
Sex Offender Profile: Non-Sexual Crime Committed


According to the article, in many states, including Georgia, any person who is convicted of kidnapping or falsely imprisoning a minor, must register as a sex offender, even if no sex crime was actually committed. Once the convict is realized there face is forever plastered on the sex offender database, which is made public to the world. Therefore they cannot live within a certain distance of schools, cannot work with kids and sometimes may be banned from certain social networks. This is exactly what has happened to defense attorney, Ann Marie Fitz client. He was charged for false imprisonment of a minor during a drug deal, and is now in the sex offender database. He has appealed claiming this type of labeling is cruel and unusual punishment however Georgia Supreme Court does not agree.


A database for all sex offenders is a great idea; one that I’m sure has saved many lives. For the public to be able to see how close they live to a registered sex offender is reassuring. This type of database relates to E-R modeling because that is exactly how the crime database came to be. The entities are selected (e.g. convicts, the crime) and their relationships, along with the attributes (name, address, age, etc.) of the entity (the convicted felon). I must mention that the relationship between the felon could be the crime if we are referring to a large crime database, like the ones used by authorities.

The interesting aspect of the article was non-sex offenders being listed on sex offender databases. How can someone be labeled sex offender if a sex crime was never committed? There is no need for something like this especially knowing the consequences of being categorized as a sex offender.  People have filed complaints about being harassed and attacked by other neighbors because they were listed in the database.


Kravets, D. (2010, March) Ruling: State Can Dump Non-Sex Offenders into Registry. Retrieved October 8, 2011, from Wired.


3 thoughts on “”

  1. Although having a database for all sex offender is a great ideas, it is sad to heard that non-sex offenders will also add to it. There are several people who have been describe about sex offenders for misunderstanding of the law. I know a person who had been described as a sex offender. He is my uncle friend and had been lived at prison for a few years because of the misunderstanding about the child sex offending. It may be because he was just moved to the United States from my home country, Myanmar. In my home country, there is no such law. In his case, he was a post office employee at that time and just give a candy to a child when he deliver mail to an apartment. According to him, he said the parents of that girl saw that he gave a candy to their child and sue him. Because of this misunderstanding, he lost his job, lived at the prison for a few years and still cannot get a new job since he left prison. If they made a database for sex offenders, how can people like him find a job? How can they live on their own since they cannot find a job? If non sex offenders will be added to the database as sex offender, it will be sad to see since they did not actually commit the crime.

  2. I also think having a database for all sex offenders is a great idea. I feel sorry for kyawtun’s uncle because I was born and raised oversea and I understand how different culture/countries can sometimes have significant impact. There are always innocent people being charged for crime that they did not commit… and this database system will surely ruined their lives.

    I guess this comes down a hard decision that we all have to make: Are we willing to sacrifice maybe 1% of the innocent people being charged for crimes and get the rest of 99% people that are truly guilty?

  3. I do feel bad for the people that get wrongfully accused or imprisoned and it happens more often than not. What is interesting is there is always either a movie or tv show drama that pokes at this injustice. I personally know that it does keep sex offenders controlled and makes parents feel at ease. I know my friends who have children feel safer that they have this type of information at their disposal so it is a good idea that works however there should be a way to help people that are incorrectly accused. I’m not sure if it exists but there should be a rating or grouping of sex offenders according to what they have been convicted or accused of. This could help innocent people that are placed in the system clear their name. You should always be careful of what you do because it could come back and bite you in the ass. If you know it is not a good idea to deal drugs then you should be aware that you can pay severe consequences and that includes getting placed as a sex offender. I’m not saying it is right but my dad always told me you are the company you keep.

Comments are closed.